Some of you may know that measuring hip and waist are two completely different things. Others don’t see a difference in hip vs. waist measurement. Well, we will explain how to measure hip and waist property and avoid any errors.
Measuring Your Waist
You will measure your waist across the narrowest place of your torso. The ideal diameter is under 35 inches for ladies and under 40 inches for men. If you have highest than this then you need to lose weight. In order to get the most accurate measurement, you will need to follow these steps.
- Always wear no clothes or a thin one. Obviously thick cloths will give you a wrong reading. If you are measuring all by yourself, you should stand in front of the mirror. Your waist is usually between the tip of hipbones and below the ribs.
- Use soft cloth measuring tape. Wrap it around the waist but not too tight.
- See where the beginning of the tape and the highest number link and write it down.
Measuring Your Hips
You will measure your hips across the widest part of the body. Follow these steps.
- The first step is the same as in the first case. Wear light clothes and stand in front of a mirror, if you are doing this all by yourself.
- Wrap the soft cloth tape around the widest part of the buttocks. If you don’t have a soft cloth measurement tape, use string instead.
- See where the beginning of the tape and the highest number meet but do not pull the tape too hard. You have measured your hips.
Hip Vs. Waist Measurement: The Ratio
This type of ratio is very common and it has been used for decades. You will need to get both readings mentioned above. Then, you will divide the waist number by hip number and you will get a ratio.
People with more weight around the waist are known as ‘’apple-shaped’’ and they have a higher risk of developing a chronic condition. People with more fat around hips are known as ‘’pear-shaped’’ and they have decreased risk.
Now you know the differences in hip vs. waist measurement and you can do it all by yourself. Don’t forget that you need to follow the simple steps we mentioned above and you can calculate the waist to hip ratio whenever you want.
See also: Best Adjustable Dress Form